Tuesday, February 9, 2010

CCforP Lecture Series: David Sullivan

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the 2nd monday lecture series at the Charleston Center for Photography to listen to photographer asistant and photographer David Sullivan, aka Sully

He's a talented photography that has also had the opportunity to work as a first assistant to many top names in the fashion/photography industry.  Sharing his insight on being an assistant to other photogs is useful to anyone that has or wants to assist other photogs while gaining experience in the industry.  Not only is he well versed in the art of being a photo assistant, his witty presentation style rather enjoyable as well, sometimes even comical.

Since I got there way to early, I did what any photographer would be.  I shot.  Being in a little bit of a rut lately I decided to play around with some different subjects that are way outside of my normal.

Here they are......

I struggled to find anything interesting to shoot so I whipped out by SB-800 and cybersyncs to make it interesting.  For this, I simply set my flash to about 1/32 power and placed it on a pipe just below and to the left of the window.  Not sure why, but I really like it.  Kind of eery.



I've always been a big fan of simple minimalist photography.  This was an ariael telephone wire right outside of the CCforP.  Since there was still a little bit of daylight left but I didn't want any of the ambient, I set my SB-800 to 1/4 power and held it in my hand just below the lens pointing straight at the subject.  Using my shutter at it's max sync speed allows me to keep the ambient out giving the look as if it's completely dark outside, while a larger aperture (f4) allowed me to capture the right amount of flash since it was a relative long distance.  Just simple long throw hard light.



For those that are learning to mix ambient with flash lighting like me, here's the biggest tip I can give you.  Aperture controls flash while Shutter controls the ambient light. 

In a studio environment where flash is 100% of your available light, the shutter speed doesn't even matter.  Set it to whatever you want as long is it's at or below your max sync speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment