Monday, February 1, 2010

umm, what am I?

I was talking with another photographer whom I consider a friend about business and photography.  During our conversation, I began to wonder what kind of photographer I am.  I've put so much thought into what kind of photographer I'm not nor want to be, yet never thought about what kind I want to be.

What am I?

Am I an Artist?  No, I don't think so.  I've never worn a turtle with a beret and go to a coffee shop to drink tea.  To be honest, I don't even know what art is!  I don't think I have a creative bone in my body.

I'm a very technical person.  Sometimes it's a currse, sometimes a blessing.  I'm always trying to master something that someone else has already done, but have yet to do anything of my own.

I can look at an image and tell exactly how it was done, heck I can even recreate it.  How do I create my own?

Why do I even continue to shoot?  What's making me lose sleep constantly thinking about taking images?

I look at my images from past to present, I can see the image and it's huge.  They are technically better 10 fold yet just as boring as before.  What does everyone else see in them that I don't?  I don't get it.  I just keep trying to tell me self that as long as they like them that's all that matters.

That's it!  As long as the people I'm shooting for likes the images they get are happy than I'm happy.  I sat and thought about this for about.  The one common motivator in everything I've ever done has been to make others happy.  That's what makes me happy, while feeding my need to be the best at whatever it is I do.

I actually don't really care about the images I've created (well I do, as I don't like crap) but for me it's about the process to get there.  Someone might like my images, great for them.  For me, it's about the making of the images.  Planning the shoot, setting up my equipment, working with my subjects for the look I and they want, creating the customers vision.

Alot of times, the process of creating the image is as much of an art as the image itself.

Does this make sense to anyone?

I guess that's all for my senseless dribble this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment